The competition is heating up around these parts as startups vie for the chance to present at the Bend Venture Conference next month. Economic Development for Central Oregon has selected the 10 concept stage companies that will compete Sept. 25th at the EDCO PubTalk.
There the esteemed audience members (and general yahoos like me) will vote for the five companies that get to proceed to BVC, where they get the chance to compete for $10,000 prize provided by BendBroadband.
“The 10 concept stage contenders are a diverse set, representing a variety of industries including outdoor recreation, bioscience, consumer products, high-tech, and agriculture,” said Nate LiaBraaten, BVC concept stage coordinator. “It will be important for the voting audience, in their evaluation, to really consider which five ideas can successfully launch and scale into a profitable company.”
Here are the contenders, in alphabetical order:
- Beliggle is a service exchange mobile app, an idea that came out this year’s OSU-Cascades entrepreneurship class.
- Bird Dog Bioventures is a veterinary/human biology start-up, researching and licensing underserved areas of animal health.
- Cairn is monthly subscription box for outdoor enthusiasts. The company introduces its subscribers to new brands and products while also collecting market data for the companies they work with.
- Free Range Equipment manufactures light, durable, simple, functional backpacks for the performance focused athlete.
- FriendlySniff.com is an online tool that organizes and simplifies the pet owner’s life, from adoptions, training, housing, shopping, and other local services.
- KidRunner is reinventing running and exploring with kids hands and arms free. The company has created high performance kid carrier that runners/walkers/hikers can pull hands-free, instead of push.
- Odysys, LLC provides a complete digital marketing platform for hotels. The software aims to simplify direct hotel bookings by reducing guest acquisition costs, increasing revenue, and encouraging repeat guests with one simple platform.
- Party Gorilla, Inc. is an app that provides users with information about their favorite bars and clubs. The app helps users know what’s happening, when and where and gives bars the tools to help get their customers get there.
- Ubimodo, LLC is creating an app that helps keeps people safe by notifying the authorities when things go wrong, such as the user not returning at a designated time from an outdoor adventure. The system initiates a series of escalating responses up to law enforcement/search and rescue involvement.
- Volcano Veggies LLC grows organic vegetables and fish indoors with proprietary biotechnology solutions, providing cold-weather communities with fresh, nutritious local food year-round.
You can reach Kelly by email at [email protected].
Latest posts by Kelly Kearsley (see all)
- 500+ Posts Later, StartupBend Founders Close Up Blog and Look to What’s Next - February 26, 2020
- Save the Date: unConference Returns for its 10th year w/ Cash Prizes and Fun Oct. 15 - October 7, 2019
- The Annual BendTECH Startup Resource Fair Returns 6/6 - May 21, 2019