Earlier this week, we posted a story about G5’s search for two new executives. Today I had the opportunity to sit down with Carrie Percich, the company’s recruiter to talk about G5’s growth and get her thoughts on how to best recruit tech talent here.
“I get to recruit for one of the best companies to work for in the one of the best places to live,” Percich says.
In the four years that Percich has been with G5, the company has grown from 44 employees to 176. In fact, they have six new people starting this month, including a new CTO. So how does Percich, who previously spent 14 years as a recruiter for Volt, maintain a robust pipeline of potential employees?
She offered 4 tips:
- Sell Bend We happen to live in a Northwest mountain paradise, and Percich isn’t shy about promoting Bend lifestyle. She regularly posts articles that tout Bend’s quality of life and photos of events happening here to the company’s FB page.
- Promote Your Culture “Culture is huge,” she says. Percich again makes use of social media to talk about G5’s work culture, everything from benefits (2.5 weeks of vacation to start sounds nice) and community involvement to the office dogs and beer keg.
- Stay in touch People often reach out to Percich because they want to move here, and they’re looking for a way to make it happen. She maintains a deep bench of candidates, and checks back with people.
- Play nice The company was hit hard a few years ago when a Portland tech company hired away most of their engineering team. Percich makes it a personal rule to not poach employees from other employers. “If I contact someone on LinkedIn who already has a job, I’ll just ask them if know someone who has skills similar to theirs,” she says. “They might then note that their looking. But I won’t ask them.”
What’s been your experience hiring here? Any tips to add?
You can reach Kelly by email at [email protected].
Latest posts by Kelly Kearsley (see all)
- 500+ Posts Later, StartupBend Founders Close Up Blog and Look to What’s Next - February 26, 2020
- Save the Date: unConference Returns for its 10th year w/ Cash Prizes and Fun Oct. 15 - October 7, 2019
- The Annual BendTECH Startup Resource Fair Returns 6/6 - May 21, 2019