Welcome to Tribe Pilot, and thank you for throwing your hat into our ring!
I want the Tribe Pilot experience for our users and employees to be one of fun, of being able to dream, plan and remember some of the best times of their lives, shared with family and friends, in the best place there is, the great outdoors. Because we are a consumer facing product, and a consumer facing brand, all elements of what we do must support happy users, yet take costs and efficiencies into consideration when architecting, designing, and developing the product.
We have a commitment to fast moving, deadline respecting, self-tasking small teams, so every element and contribution counts. Cross-company and within-team support is essential, and it is right that we do what we can to help each other up and fill in where and when needed. Everyone plays a part and our successes are mutual and interconnected! And we are no different from most start-ups where work requirements may be broadened or focused over time, depending on our stage of growth.
Software Engineer (Software teams):
- Be an advocate of the company mission and products.
- You will take a leadership role of a number of small teams. Guide the teams and collaborate with peers to make Tribe Pilot a best in class organization. (This includes helping develop a strong culture?)
- Anticipation is much valued - anticipate issues before they become problems, ask for help or a decision before something becomes a bottleneck.
- Work/integrate with other team(s) so the company advances in unison
- Work/integrate with development team(s), UX teams, and product management teams to clearly articulate, execute, and test work sets.
- Maintain oversight over development process, be attentive to quality, timelines, outputs and anticipate issues before they become problems
- Be fiercely committed to the role of Software Engineer - champion the product for our users
- Work with the CEO, Software engineering director, the UX Director, and Product Managers to create, test, and iterate a continuous development system/process for Tribe Pilot.
- Take input from users to better architect and design future iterations of the tools.
- Create manageable executable timelines that push Tribe Pilot forward on a daily, weekly, monthly basis to meet quarterly (seasonal) deadlines.
- Work with UX, and Product Manager to implement analytics to measure success.
- Measure impact – were our improvements relevant?
- Stay apprised and on the leading end of industry trends and shifts, watch out for threats and industry shifts that could put Tribe Pilot at risk.
- Move company from a state of catch up, to keep up, to leadership in areas of expertise.
- Continuously status check Tribe Pilot against competitors and watch for threats and opportunities.
- Create strategy around future iterations of the development process, team requirements, product potential, etc…
- Document and create processes for critical business functions and tools to help articulate best practices to software teams, other teams, and CEO.
What will you do:
- You will have ownership of a primary work stream, which you will own end-to-end, but work in close collaboration with our other software engineers
- You will be expected to be a key contributor and thought leader in driving the architecture, code health and processes for building robust mobile products
- You will work closely with Product Managers, Designers and Sales to deeply understand customer needs and solve customer problems elegantly with the products you build
- Over 2+ years of hands-on experience designing and developing web frontend and backend services.
- Proficient in CSS preprocessors like Sass or LESS.
- Proficiency with React Native is a plus.
- Familiar with JS-based build tools like Grunt, Gulp, and Bower.
- Proficient in web server Node.js.
- Familiar with one of the database technologies like DynamoDB, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL.
- Experience with consumption of RESTful/ JSON services and APIs.
- Familiar with Amazon Web Services products including DynamoDB and AppSync a plus.
Job qualifications - essential skills, abilities and example behaviors
- Walk-the-walk - outdoor enthusiast with domain expertise based on personal lifestyle!
- Tribe Pilot champion - aware of and able to strengthen our brand
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit and drive
- Possess business acumen in addition to development and execution skills
- Demonstrate excellent internal and external communication skills – verbal, written and presentation
- Demonstrate comfortable ability to work with all level of position across multiple dependent stakeholders, from “shop floor” to executive leadership
- Able to set clear priorities
- Continuously improve yourself and your teams, technically, as managers, as team mates