A group of pretty awesome women have started the Technology Association of Oregon STEAM (science, tech, engineering, arts and math) initiative and aim to kick it off right with a launch party on Thursday, June 1. The vision? TAO STEAM wants to form a network of Central Oregon professionals committed to creating a path for girls and women interested in STEAM careers — and a gender balanced future.
One of our favorite people, Maggie Hubbell, CEO of Agency Revolution and Chair of the Steering Committee says, “In the ideal world the term ‘women in STEAM’ wouldn’t exist. But, the reality is this issue does need special attention right now. We want to provide a supportive community that enriches the experience for women currently in STEAM careers and find ways to attract more women into these fields. Central Oregon has a lot of support around this issue and I believe if we work together we can really make a difference.”
From the news release:
TAO STEAM’s mission is to unify Central Oregon’s women in the STEAM community with a vision of enabling Central Oregon’s women to reach their full STEAM potential. Goals are to:
- Create paths for girls and women interested in STEAM career
- Establish a platform for connections, resources and opportunities
- Enable ongoing education opportunities for career growth and prosperity
The group is inviting the community, businesses, non-profits, and individuals to collaborate and serve as a resource for learning, growth, and outreach, for both women and Central Oregon as a whole. TAO STEAM members will be invited to join and participate in small groups or communities, built around job functions and key areas in STEAM fields.
“This network squares perfectly with the Central Oregon STEM Hub’s vision for cultivating a regional STEM ecosystem. Our core partners promote opportunities and pathways to prepare students for a future driven by STEM; connecting with the community, non-profits, and industry is essential. It all fits together.” said Whitney Swander, Executive Director, Central Oregon STEM Hub.
Interested? Come learn more at the launch party and meet some great people.
TAO STEAM Launch
Thursday, June 1, 2017
5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The Capitol, 90 NW Oregon, Ave.
You can reach Kelly by email at [email protected].
Latest posts by Kelly Kearsley (see all)
- A Jobs Board Blowout! Apptoto, LeadMethod, Odysys, Flybook, TechSoft 3D and Bend Research Hiring - November 20, 2017
- OnBoard Dynamics CEO Rita Hansen Chosen for U.S. Delegation Headed to the Global Entrepreneurship Summit in India - November 16, 2017
- Need Some Spice in Your Life? Check out Red Duck Foods Taco Sauce Kickstarter - November 9, 2017