This is a cool thing. Yong Bakos, CS professor at OSU Cascades, has organized a local event to celebrate the global Day of Coderetreat. On Saturday, Nov. 18, student developers and professional software developers of all skills levels will convene at the Bend OSU campus for a “fantastic, focused day of code.”
The event is free and breakfast and lunch are provided, thanks to sponsors FiveTalent, Redhawk Network Security, TEKsystems, and Paladin Data Corp. On the same day, coderetreats will be held in cities around the world.
Here’s more details from Yong:
Join your fellow Bend coders to practice software craftsmanship together. Write code, learn from others, teach someone else, and expand your network of friends who are passionate about their craft.
Software developers of all skill levels and backgrounds are welcome. This is a very inclusive and fun event.
- Do you want to improve your software writing skills?
- Would you like to learn how test-driven development can take you to the next level?
- Have you never tried pair programming?
- Do you wish you had the time and space to focus on practicing coding?
- Would you like to connect with other developers who champion craftsmanship?
This is a fun day of programming, learning, teaching, and getting to know other programmers who are passionate about their craft. Food will be provided, so you just need to show up and take part. You do need to bring your laptop.
Some items to note:
- There’s no age minimum. The coderetreat day is substance-free.
- But there is an afterparty at Vector Volcano, and beer will likely make an appearance there. Also they have Frogger. So fun is pretty much guaranteed.
- Upon registering you’ll be charged $2, which you’ll then be refunded at the event. Yong says this discourages no-shows.
- There’s free all-day parking in the OSU Cascades parking lot. Lots of bike racks, for those on two-wheels. Cascades East Transit bus routes 10, 11 and 12 stop at the campus.
Sound like a fun Saturday? Register here.
You can reach Kelly by email at [email protected].