Economic Development for Central Oregon has announced the 10 early stage companies that will pitch at next week’s PubTalk for a chance to compete at the Bend Venture Conference. The startup founders will deliver three-minute pitches to a voting audience at the Sept. 24th event.
Five will move onto BVC, where they could win the $15,000 BendBroadband Business Prize.
“The 10 early stage contenders are diverse, representing a variety of industries including outdoor recreation, consumer products and high-tech,” says Brian Vierra, venture catalyst for EDCO. “With real, tangible products, prototypes, and solutions, this year’s vote is going to be tough. It will be important for the voting audience at PubTalk to really consider which five ideas could successfully launch and scale into a profitable company.”
The finalists are:
- Airfit: Placing gym and shower facilities in airports, located behind security, so passengers can board their next flight feeling happy, healthy and productive.
- EZ Local Eats: A mobile app that allows customers to find “local” food trucks, order food remotely, streamline “peak hour” operations, and maximize profits.
- FoodFu: A cooking competition app for iPhone that is a fun, interactive, real-life home version of popular culinary competition shows like Chopped or Top Chef.
- HerbAdvisors.com: A video intensive website providing reviews of cannabis strains, products and edibles aimed to encourage users to provide their own reviews to the community.
- Outdoor Logic – Solutions: Developing products that make participating in outdoor activities easier, including the development of a prototype-ready ski and snowboard boot remover called the “DeBooter.”
- QuakeWarn: Earthquake Early Warning System that sends alerts via SMS/push notification when shaking is detected at coastal monitoring sites.
- Radventure: A peer-to-peer marketplace that helps frustrated outdoor adventure travelers explore a destination authentically, like a local.
- SnoPlanks: Manufactures high-end bamboo snowboards specifically geared toward powder and big mountain riding. Made 100% by hand in Bend, Ore.
- StaBallizer: A core training and gaming device designed to improve core strength while having fun.
- Sunshine Network: Building a scalable mobile app connecting billions of cubic feet of available vehicle cargo volume with consumers and merchants worldwide.
If you’re planning on going to this PubTalk — and you should because it’s lots of fun — get your tickets now, and arrive early. EDCO has doubled its capacity at McMenamins for the event. Networking begins at 5 p.m. and the program kicks off at 5:45 p.m. For more information or to purchase a ticket, visit EDCO events.
The BVC investors are still in the process of selecting the five growth stage companies that will be competing for even more money. Last year the conference awarded more than $1 million in investments and prizes, with the growth stage winner, Bend-based Amplion, receiving $400,000 in funding.
The growth stage finalists are:
- Abom This Tigard, Ore.-based startups has invented and patented a true anti-fog active technology that will prevent fog from surviving in active sports eyewear.
- Cairn Based in Bend, Cairn competed in the early-stage competition at BVC last year. The company offers a subscription box for outdoor enthusiasts, introducing them to new brands and products.
- Health123: Health123’s health activation platform provides patients with curated content, atomized care plans and direct connections to their follow-up care professionals. This startup is in Seattle.
- HoneyComb: Transforming agriculture with on-demand data services and drone technology. Based in Wilsonville.
- NemaMetrix: Offers an early stage drug discovery platform that reduces the cost of discovery 100x by increasing the success of identifying drug candidates early. From Eugene.
- Odysys: Helps hotels drive more direct bookings at a lower cost. Hoteliers can connect, manage and track digital marketing efforts with one simple platform. Based in Bend.
- Perfect Company: Perfect Company’s connected scale and interactive recipe solution revolutionizes cooking. Currently building a large, active user base on which they can build food content business.
- Scratch-it: A Software as a Service marketing solution that manages a new type of content called “reveal,” which consistently improves engagement by 10x.
- ZeroTransform: Virtual Reality will revolutionize how we interact with digital content. ZeroTransform specializes in creating these Virtual Reality worlds to capture the imagination. Based in Bend.
The BVC is October 15 and 16. We’ll be there, blogging and tweeting and putting free cookies in our purse. Follow us on Twitter and of course, right here, for conference information, info on the competing companies and more.
You can reach Kelly by email at [email protected].
Latest posts by Kelly Kearsley (see all)
- 500+ Posts Later, StartupBend Founders Close Up Blog and Look to What’s Next - February 26, 2020
- Save the Date: unConference Returns for its 10th year w/ Cash Prizes and Fun Oct. 15 - October 7, 2019
- The Annual BendTECH Startup Resource Fair Returns 6/6 - May 21, 2019