Category Archives: Community

New BendX Bootcamp Launches to Support Women Founders

Our startup ecosystem continues to grow–and the newest addition is an exciting one. Talena Barker and Christine Callahan recently launched BendX Bootcamp, a program aimed at helping women entrepreneurs transform their ideas for a company into reality. The program is accepting applications through July 15 and the first cohort will start in September. We caught up with Talena recently to learn more about BendX. You can also catch her in person at Thursday’s BendTECH Startup Resource Fair.

Who’s Exhibiting at the Startup Resource Fair? Meet our 30+ Exhibitors and Tap into a Wealth of Startup Support and Resources

The second annual BendTECH Startup Resource Fair is coming up quick. Scheduled for Thursday, June 7 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., the fair features 32 organizations and businesses who want to help YOU get your startup launched and growing. Right now, try to name 32 local and state resources that entrepreneurs can reach out to …. can you do it? There’s that many and way more.

Rane Stempson: Helping Central Oregon Startups and More Create Diverse, Inclusive Workplaces

By Rane Stempson When it comes to diversity in the workplace, both Teri Hockett, with the Technology Association of Oregon, and myself have heard several commonly asked questions, including: What does inclusion really mean? Why do we need to pursue diversity when Central Oregon isn’t really that diverse? Are we forcing the matter in a region that doesn’t need it? What does this equal pay law mean for a small business? What is really considered sexual harassment and discrimination in the workplace today? Does that stuff really happen in Central Oregon companies? And “Oh my, I had a woman come to me about what she was experiencing at work I and I had no idea what to say or how to advise her. What should I do?”

So Teri approached me and asked if I would help develop a equity, diversity and leadership workshop series targeted at startups and small businesses that would offer practical knowledge on these topics at an affordable price? As the former principal research director for Microsoft, I focused on diversity and specifically bring more underrepresented groups into computing, so this was in my wheelhouse. I opened the Ranemaker Institute and began developing the TAO workshop series, researching, and working with the City of Bend and the Bend Chamber on how we could better support our City’s equity needs.

Death by Coffee Meetings? Keeping Our Startup Community Generous Even as it Grows

One of the best things – perhaps maybe the best thing – about Bend’s startup culture is how willing people are to donate their time, advice, contacts, resources and more. When my husband and I first moved here, we noticed this right away—you would email someone to ask a question, and they’d happily meet for coffee, give you their time, and connect you with another helpful person.